5 Power Yoga Poses to Help You Lose Belly Fat Fast
More than 40% of today’s population is overweight or obese and it’s the high time that we all get serious about our health because excess weight can cause many serious health issues. Even I have pulled my hair in agony when I saw an extra inch bulging down my belly. Being overweight can degrade your self-worth and lower your confidence badly. Therefore, take up a resolution and strive to become the healthiest version of yourself by attaining ideal weight.
Power Yoga for Weight Loss
Power yoga has been invented by western yoga teachers to make it more about weight loss. While yoga is more about flexibility and slow asanas, Power Yoga is more active and rigorous form of yoga. It involves more utilization of energy than normal yoga. It is fitness-based yoga practice with the benefits like weight loss, increased stamina, increased body-strength, increased flexibility, healthy skin, and reduced stress. Power yoga trainers basically design their own yoga sequences and those who practice power yoga must synchronize their movement with their breath.
How does Power Yoga Helps in Weight Reduction?
Yoga is truly a blessing to the modern world given by the ancient times. It is famously known as “Weight Loss Yoga” because of its extended capability to offer the benefits of conventional yoga and upbeat workout regime. It makes you sweat enough to lose sufficient amount of weight in least time possible.
Here is how Power Yoga helps you lose weight:
1. Burn Calories
Since power yoga makes you sweat a lot through its vigorous poses and yoga activities, you end up burning more calories. The more calories you burn, more weight you will lose.
2. Boost Metabolism
Power yoga is known to boost your metabolism effectively. A better metabolism leads to better digestion and functioning of body. This less fat gets accumulated in your body. Therefore, power yoga keeps your weight in check by improving your metabolic activity.
3. Relieves Stress
Stress is one of the leading causes of weight gain. Therefore, practicing power yoga daily can help you watch your weight by helping you in stress-relief.
Power Yoga Poses You Can Do at Home
In this section, I am going to list some of the best power yoga poses that promotes weight loss, increase flexibility, and keeps you active throughout the day. These poses will help get your muscles ready to lift weight more efficiently.
But before discussing these yoga poses, it is advisable to start your practice with power yoga. This YouTube video will help you through the process.
Have a look at more effective yoga poses for weight loss:
1. Basic Squats
Basic squats, also known as Utkatasana, have always been number one in my list. This yoga asana is very effective in toning your thighs and buttocks. Along with your physical movement, it is very important to keep you inhaling and exhaling technique right.
Here is how you can do squats:
- Stand up while keeping your head facing forward and chest straight and out.
- Make sure that your feet are shoulder width apart or slightly wider than that.
- Extend your arms straight to make a balance.
- Now sit back and down as if you are going to sit on an imaginary chair and stop for 2-3 seconds at the position when your thighs are parallel to the floor. Your back must always be straight in the process.
- Push yourself back up and repeat 10 times in one set.
Do 3 sets of squats daily for the best results.
2. Downward facing dog
This posture is also very effective in losing weight. The key benefits of this power yoga poses is that it strengthens and tones your core while making your shoulder muscles stronger. It also gives you toned legs.
Here is how you can do small dog to plank:
- Come on all your fours
- Now attain the downward dog position by lifting your hips and buttocks.
- Now lift right leg up in the air as long as possible.
- Bring the right leg down and lift the left leg up in the air and hold it for some time.
- Repeat 10 times.
Do 2 sets of this pose for most effective results.
3. Standing to Leg Raise
This power yoga pose is great for your lower body, especially legs and thighs. It tones your lower body and makes your legs super-sexy.
Here is how you can practice standing to leg raise:
- Stand straight and take support of a chair if you are not so good at balancing.
- Lift your one leg up in the air while coordinating with your breathing and maintain this position for as long as you can.
- Take the leg down and lift another leg up and maintain the posture for as long as you can.
- Repeat this 10 times
Do 3 sets of this exercise for effective results.
4. Abdominal Churning
Breathing right is very important aspect of this power yoga posture. It works well on your belly fat and toning your abdominal muscles.
Here is how you can do abdominal churning:
- In the lotus pose, isolate the central part of your abdominal muscles while making sure that the sides of your abdomen are hollow and the central part is emerging.
- Now exert a little pressure to move the central part to the right side and then to the left one by one.
- Repeat the movement for several times in rotation.
Perform this power yoga technique for 10 minutes for the effective results.
5. Markat Asana
Markat Asana is an amazing power yoga posture for flexible spine. It works on your complete body to burn maximum calories and lose weight effectively.
Here is how you can do Markat Asana:
- Lie on your back. Be straight. Join your heels and toes.
- While breathing normally, bend your knees and place them as close to your buttocks as you can.
- Both of your feet must be resting on the floor.
- Now keep both of your hand with palms facing the ceiling while lying on the floor and parallel to the shoulders.
- Now bend both knees on the right side to touch the ground while keeping your neck on the left side. Keep this position for as long as it is comfortable to you.
- Come back to the starting point.
- Repeat this process in another direction.
- Repeat this whole process 10 times.
2 sets of this posture are enough.
Power Yoga Vs Cardio – Which one is better for weight loss?
Cardio workouts includes treadmill walk, running, jogging, and aerobic workouts and they can burn twice as much calories as power yoga. Therefore, you have chances of losing more weight through cardio rather than power yoga. But, at the same time, power yoga has the benefit that you can’t neglect. Unlike cardio, power yoga doesn’t only help you lose weight but also tones your body. While cardio can leave you with bulges and un-toned body, power yoga will tone your body and do not leave any stretch marks. Therefore, Power Yoga is more preferred choice for weight loss than cardio or any other rigorous form of workout.
How often should you do Power Yoga?
If you want to lose weight really fat, three sessions of power yoga every week will work greatly for you. You can also combine power yoga with your gym training. Power yoga helps your muscles to lift weight more easily and with the right technique. If you want to get rid of belly fat permanently, you can practice a combination of cardio and power yoga for a toned body and long term results.
Other Health Benefits of Power Yoga
- Increased flexibility
- Increased Stamina
- Stress Relief
- Encourages Sleep
- Relieves Digestive Disorders
- Prevents Excessive Eating
- Boost Mood
- Eliminates Tiredness
Read in detail: Power Yoga and It’s Health Benefits