Don’t you just hate it when you take time to shave your legs and arms, and it hasn’t been a couple of days that those little monsters come again crossing their territory? Well, I hate it too and that’s the only reason I decided to flick through the internet to figure out some more ways to get rid of unwanted hair. This dedicated search of mine led me to “Hair Epilators”. Ever since I have used an epilator, I have never looked back. All thanks to the ease and convenience they have to offer. Yes, they’re slightly painful, but so is waxing your hair, and not to forget, there are many ways that can be opted to make epilation nearly painless without doing much.
What are Epilators?
You might have tried various hair removal methods and you must agree that some methods are simply better than others. For me, it’s epilation. Trust me, this is coming from the girl who has tried and tested every other hair removal methods that exists on the planet be it shaving, waxing (OUCH! What an evil practice!), hair removal creams, tweezing, plucking, and what not. An Epilator is an electrical device which has been designed to remove the hair directly from the roots so you can enjoy smooth and hair-free skin for weeks. It works by grasping a multiple hair mechanically and then pulling them off your skin. The results are similar to wax but unlike waxing, they do not pull out your cells from the epithelium of the epidermis and can remove the shortest hair which can’t be pulled out through waxing.
Epilation Vs. Waxing – A Fair Comparison
|Tools Required||Epilator||Wax (Any Kind), Pulling Strips|
|Cost Involved||$50 – $100 (One Time Buying Price) Device may last for years||$20 – $80 depending upon whether you’re taking professional service or doing it yourself|
|Level of pain||Low, Moderate, High (Depends on hair growth)||Moderate to High|
|Used For||Full body (Best for legs, arms, and other large areas on body)||Full body (Best for torso, arms, legs, face, bikini)|
|Effectiveness||Lasts for 3 to 5 weeks||Lasts for 3 to 4 weeks|
|Suitability||All skin types||May be harmful for sensitive skin type|
|Process||Device grasps the hair and pulls them of while you move it against the direction of hair growth.||Wax applied in the direction of hair and strip is pulled off against the direction of hair to remove them|
|Side Effects||Potential side effects involve redness, tenderness, and irritation||Allergic reactions, bumps, ingrown hair, redness, itchiness, irritation, infection, and scarring|
|Hair Length||Removes 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch of the hair||Removes 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of the hair|
|Convenience||Highly convenient. Just plug in and start epilating||Not so convenient.|
Both epilators and waxing offers the same results but when it comes to fine hair removal, epilation wins as it removes even the shortest hair which waxing cannot. Though epilators can hurt a little bit more on sensitive areas especially for the first time but when you get used to it and start removing your hair regularly, it becomes nearly painless.
5 Best Epilators for Hair Removal
1. Braun Silk-epil 9 9-961V Epilator with Exfoliation Brushes & Skin Care System – BEST PICK
Number 1 on our list is this dermatologically recommended wet and dry epilator which removes much more hair in one stroke than any other Braun epilator. It’s powerful, convenient, and highly recommended. This is the one I personally use and admire. It is a complete package that comes with two exfoliation brushes and a deep massage pad which helps in improving your skin texture and maintains a healthy and smooth skin. It works best for entire body including legs, arms, underarms, bikini line, face, and other sensitive areas of your skin.
Entire body including:
- Bikini Line
- Recommended by best dermatologists
- Comes with 12 additional attachments including massage pads, exfoliating brushes, epilation heads, shaving heads
- Cup-shape massage pads that help in improving skin texture
- 2 soft and gentle exfoliation brushes that help in reducing ingrown hair and sweep away dead skin cells more efficiently than scrub
- Most gentle shaver and epilator for bikini and other sensitive areas
- Cordless epilator that can be used for dry epilation as well as wet epilation
- Active vibrations that provide relaxing skin sensation during epilation to reduce pain
- Comes with a smart-light for precise epilation
- Pivoting head that adapts to all the contour and sensitive areas
- Offers 1 hour 40 minutes of operation time on one charge
2. Braun Silk-Epil 9 9-890 Epilator for Legs, Arms, Face, and Bikini Line
World knows Braun for making most powerful and smartest epilators doing a very fine work removing the hair from the root in quite painless manner. This particular model is their best production as it comes with SensoSmart technology that removes even more hair with less pressure. Braun Silk-Epil 9 9-890 epilator can remove 4x shorter hair than wax and make your smooth skin last longer than waxing does.
Entire body including:
- Bikini Line
- Completely cordless with rechargeable battery.
- Can be used for both dry and wet epilation.
- Comes with 7 addition attachments: facial cap, trimmer cap, skin contact cap, shaver head, and separate body & face trimmers to work on sensitive areas.
- Easy to reach unreachable areas with different attachments.
- Red light indicator to insure you’re applying right pressure.
- High frequency massage cap to reduce the pain.
- Epilates most of the hair in just one stroke.
- Long lasting battery that offers 2 hours of operation time.
- Gentle on sensitive areas.
- Offers smooth skin for a month.
- Slightly expensive
- Need to be charged for couple of hours before use
3. Philips Satinelle Prestige Epilator with Exfoliator & Massager for Dry and Wet Epilation
This is 4-in-1 hair removal device from Philips featuring a full action epilator, shaver, massager, and exfoliator. This epilator is also one of the best pick to offer you a hair-free smooth skin for weeks while taking care of your skin with gentle exfoliation and deep massage. This is the best epilator from Philips that is most recommended for sensitive areas including bikini line, face, and armpits. It comes with an extra wide epilator head with removed shortest hair without pulling your sensitive skin. This epilator will give your skin a gentle pampering session while removing hair from the roots.
All body parts including:
- Bikini Line
- Additional Accessories: Delicate area cap, shaver head, trimming comb, facial cap, efficiency cap, massage cap, body exfoliator, body massager, storage pouch.
- Can remove hair as short as 0.5 mm.
- Best for both dry and wet use.
- Epilation head comes with 32 powerful tweezers with the tweezing action speed of 64000 to 70400 per minute
- Award-winning epilator designed for powerful tweezing dics that can pull thin and thick hair with equal efficiency.
- Comes with the delicate area cap for smooth epilation on sensitive areas.
- Two speeds that you can adjust according to your comfort.
- Less missed hair in single stroke.
- Only 40 minutes of operation time on single charge which takes around 2 hours
- Need to be recharged before use
4. Braun Silk-épil 9 9-870 Epilator for Facial & Body Hair Removal
Here comes another great epilator from Braun and this one also does quite efficient job. It is more efficient because of its wide pivoting head which makes it easier to epilate the larger areas. Braun Silk-épil 9 9-870 epilator features micro-grip tweezer technology with the power of 40 tweezers that remove shorter hair and provides a long-lasting smooth skin. It can remove facial as well as body hair without much pain.
- Multifunctional epilator which comes with a shaver-head where you’d prefer shaving more than epilation.
- Cordless and rechargeable for convenience.
- 100% waterproof and thus supports both dry and wet epilation.
- Comes with an ergonomic handle which makes it convenient to use and easy to handle.
- Wider epilation head which efficiently remove more hair in single stroke.
- Reduce the hair growth.
- More effective than waxing as it removes even the 1/8th inch hair from the roots.
- Features SensoSmart technology to ensure right pressure for epilation.
- Comes with high-frequency massage cap to reduce the pain.
- Offers around 2 hours of operation time on a single charge.
- Slightly expensive
- Need to be recharged before use
- Doesn’t come with smaller epilation head to reach the sensitive areas
5. Philips Satinelle Advanced Epilator for Legs, Arms, Face, & Bikini Line
This epilator from Philips is designed to adapt to any curve on your body to pluck the shortest hair to give you a long-lasting smoothness. Philips has engineered this device to offer effective yet painless hair removal that lasts for weeks. This epilation kit contains 9 accessories including epilation head, shaving head, trimmer head, and ceramic discs for a complete hair removal deal. Philips Satinelle Advanced Epilator features a wide epilation head that covers larger area and removes more hair in a single stroke.
- Cordless epilator that can be used anywhere and anytime once it’s charged.
- Comes with 9 additional accessories including shaver, trimmer, comb, and protective pads.
- Supports both dry and wet epilation.
- Can remove hair as short as .5 mm.
- Easy to use.
- Features micro-ridged ceramic discs that are gentle on your skin.
- Works very well on sensitive areas.
- Comes with 2-speed settings that can be adjusted to comfort.
- Ergonomic handle making is easy to hold and operate.
- Battery indicator so that you can charge on time.
Needs to be charged for around 2 hours before use and offers battery life of only 40-50 minutes.
Tips for Painless Epilation
Is epilation painful for you? That’s probably because you are doing certain things wrong. Well, don’t worry; we’re here to help you make your next epilation experience as painless as possible. These easy to follow tips can make epilation way more comfortable and smooth.
1. Take Warm Shower before Epilation or Epilate during Shower
When you take a warm shower, your hair become softer and the pores on your skin get open. This is the reason why epilation hurts less after taking a warm shower. If you are using dry/wet epilation, you can epilate while you’re taking a shower as it will be nearly painless with the right technique. All the epilators we discussed above are dry/wet epilators, which means they are waterproof and can be used in shower.
2. Get Waxed Once Before Using Epilator
If all you have done previously is shaved, you probably have hard hair and strong roots. And if you have full growth, epilation can hit you really hard. These two are the biggest reasons why people complain about extreme pain in their first time epilation experience. In such cases, it is recommended for you to get waxed before you use epilator. After 2 weeks, smaller hair will start growing on your body and that’s when it is best time to get started with epilation.
3. Stretch Skin
Do not forget to stretch your skin where you’re epilating. Lose skin tend to catch scratches during epilation. Stretching ensures that hair is pulled out from the roots and your skin doesn’t get any scratches.
4. Use Protective Caps
Most of the epilation kits I have mentioned above come with protective caps. Make sure you’re using those to protect your skin from scratches or any other kind of damage.
5. Avoid Goosebumps
If you get Goosebumps easily, try to epilate in a warmer environment. Goosebumps make it hard to epilator to find the flat surface to pull the hair. They can also make your skin prone to scratches and damage.
Exfoliate your skin before epilating with the help of body scrub or massager. It helps in removing dead skin cells and expose ingrown hair to be epilated. Exfoliation also promotes fine and efficient epilation.
7. Use a Numb Cream
If you’re very sensitive to pain, you can also use a numbing cream to temporarily numb your body for epilation. This is really a great option when you’re epilating in sensitive areas like armpits, bikini line, or face.
With these tips, you can do a fine epilation with minimal pain. Happy epilating!