One of the best ways to stay healthy is to eat foods that are rich in nutrients. It’s because nutrients support the function of our body and strengthen our immune system. And the immune system is the guard that protects your body from disease and foreign bodies, thus keeping your healthy.
Even if you catch a cold, have flu, or similar health condition, your immune system helps you stay strong and supports faster recovery. That’s why you have to take care of your body and support the work of your immune system. The best way to do that is by taking supplements for immune support. Here are the top 5 supplements you should consider to boost your immune system.
Of course, vitamins are the first thing that comes to our mind when we think of health and immunity. It’s because they are very powerful when it comes to supporting our health. Although vitamins are healthy, in general, some of them are especially helpful when it comes to our immune system. Those are:
- Vitamin C – It’s the vitamin we usually take whenever we feel bad or weak. It’s because it supports the cellular function of our immune system. It also supports the function of the epithelial barrier when fighting against pathogens and helps kill microbes.
- Vitamin E – Apart from protecting your cells from being damaged, this powerful antioxidant helps your body to fight against infections.
- Vitamin A – Although this vitamin is usually related to vision and skin, it’s also beneficial for your immunity. Due to its anti-inflammation properties, it helps strengthen the immune system.
- Vitamin D – This vitamin not only helps strengthen your bones but it also supports your immune system. It does that by adjusting the inherited and adaptive immune responses.
- Vitamin B6 – It supports the biochemical reactions in the immune system.
Minerals always come right after vitamins due to their health benefits. Although all of them support our well-being, there are few particular minerals that boost our immune system. Those are:
- Iron – It’s necessary for the maturation and proliferation of immune cells, especially lymphocytes. It’s also necessary for the proliferation of parasites, bacteria, and neoplastic cells. And, it’s used as a mediator in the production of bacteriostatic cells.
- Zinc – This mineral controls the inflammation in our body and slows down the immune response.
- Selenium – It’s a powerful antioxidant that helps reduce the inflammation in our body and strengthens immunity.
This might sound strange because probiotics are usually related to maintaining a healthy gut. But, actually, 70% of our immune system is found in our gut. That’s why taking probiotics is essential in boosting the function of the immune system.
For those who don’t know, probiotics are actually friendly bacteria that live in the intestinal tract. They help protect the body from microbes that can cause a certain disease. Also, they prevent inflammation and improve the function of the immune system.
The next natural supplement is called astragalus. You might have not heard of it but it is, in fact, an herb. Due to its numerous health benefits, it is used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years. It’s mostly used to support the function of the immune system and keep it healthy.
According to a study, astragalus supports the immune system because it controls the T-helper cells 1 and 2. These cells help regulate the function of the immune system. Additionally, it has antioxidant properties that help prevent the damage of the free radicals.
The last, but no less important natural supplement which boosts your immune system is the oregano oil. We guess that most of you haven’t heard of it, but the oregano herb has actually been used as a medicine for thousands of years. Although you know it as a spice we add to our food, you can also find oregano as a supplement, in the form of oil or capsule.
But how does oregano boost your immune system? Well, it works its magic due to its antiviral and antibacterial properties which help your body fight infections. It also contains compounds that can help you cough less often, thus helping you get through the flu.
Additionally, it is believed that oregano may also support your gut health by increasing the flow of bile. According to some research, if you take oregano oil for 6 weeks, it can help kill intestinal parasites. However, more study is needed in order to prove this.
Although you take supplements, you shouldn’t use them as food replacement. But, on the contrary, you should continue consuming foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals, focusing on fruit, vegetables, fish, meat, milk, and other whole foods or low-processed foods. In that way, you will ensure you receive all the important nutrients to stay healthy.
See Also: 5 Amazing Tips For Every Skin Type