Onions often make us cry but the flavor they add to our dishes is worth the tears. Not only do they make our food tasty, but they also make it healthy. But that is not it. Did you know we can use onions for weight loss as well?
Onion is a very important ingredient of every household. They are low in calories. So, they help us make low-calorie, tasty and healthy dishes.
Onions are also effective in weight loss. They are rich in quercetin which prevents the accumulation of fat. It also boosts our metabolism.
In this article, we will discuss how to lose weight with onions. Let’s get started.
Related: Roasted Chana For Weight Loss
How Onions Help In Weight Loss?
Before we start using onions for weight loss, it is important to understand how onions promote weight loss. We’ve listed a few points that show how onions are effective if you are trying to lose weight.
1. Onions Help You Burn More Calories
Onions are rich in an antioxidant called quercetin. Quercetin increases the number of calories we burn. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory properties of onions prevent inflammation-induced weight gain.
The paper published in the journal Metabolism suggests that the presence of quercetin in the onions increases the energy expenditure and reduces the inflammation.
2. Onions Are Low In Calories
Adding onions to your food is a great way to add flavor without adding too many calories. Adding onions add volume to your foods while keeping the caloric content low.
It is a great way to if you are looking to lose weight. Combining onion to your dishes increases the volume without adding a lot of extra calories. Thus you can eat more and still manage to keep your caloric intake on a lower side.
3. Onions Help Gain More Fiber
Onions help you gain more fiber from the food. Fiber helps you feel fuller for longer periods. Thus, it helps in weight loss. Fiber-rich foods are often preferred if you are looking to lose weight because fiber can’t be digested and helps us stay full.
It is also helpful in lowering blood sugar levels. A medium-sized onion contains 1.9g fiber.
4. Onions Boost The Metabolism
Using onions prevents the accumulation of fat and it also increases the basic metabolic rate. The higher the metabolic rate, the easier you can digest your food. It also means that the food is converted into energy and not into fat.
The quercetin is also helpful in increasing the good high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, or the good cholesterol, which improves the overall health.
Onions also lower the risk of diabetes by preventing insulin resistance.
Related Story: Patanjali Products For Weight Loss
How To Use Onions For Weight Loss?
Now that you have learned how onions help in weight loss. It is time that you should know how you can use onions because onions are good for weight loss.
1. Onion Juice For Weight Loss
Onion juice is really helpful if you want to lose weight. When you cook onions the nutrients are burned. To reap maximum benefits, you should extract the juice from onions for weight loss. This way all the nutrients are preserved.
Recipe To Make Onion Juice For Weight Loss
You Will Need
- A fresh white onion
- 24 ounces of water (equivalent to 3 cups of water)
- Peel the skin and slice the onions.
- Put it in a pan.
- Now add 8 ounces of water to it and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Now pour these in a blender.
- Blend it well and add 16 ounces of water to it.
- The onion juice is ready to serve.
The onion juice is perfect if you are looking to shed extra kilos.
2. Raw Onions
What could be the best way to consume onions other than consuming it raw? Onions are healthy whether cooked or raw. But you would understand raw onions are healthier because it does not have to go through the flames and therefore, all the nutrients are preserved.
So if you are looking to lose weight, eating raw onions for weight loss can be very effective and no wonder you’ll be happy with the results.
How To Consume Raw Onions?
Well, many Indians eat raw onions with their food. You can do that too. It would make your food tastier and healthier.
You Will Need
- One raw onion
- A dash of black salt
- A slice of lemon
- Slice the onion and toss it in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lime juice over it.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Eat with your food.
3. Onion Soup For Weight Loss
Onion soup is yet another great way of losing weight. Soups, in general, are considered effective when it comes to losing weight. Soups are low in calories and they make us feel full while adding a lot of nutrients. Onion soup is just amazing if you want to lose weight. It is healthy and tasty and perfect for weight loss.
How To Prepare Onion Soup For Weight Loss?
You Will Need
- 4 large chopped onions
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1 ltr. Of water
- 2 tbsp. of brown sugar
- 2 potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Add the olive oil to the pan.
- Add chopped onions to it.
- Move onions constantly until the color changes to brown.
- Take another pan and boil water. Then add vegetables, sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Now cut the potatoes and carrot. Add it to the pan.
- Cook it on low heat for about an hour.
- Put the soup in a blender and blend until it is thick.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Soup is ready to serve.
4. Onion Tea For Weight Loss
Onion tea is a perfect weight-loss drink. Onion tea is a fat burner. It has many other health benefits as well. It helps fight diabetes, hypertension, etc.
How To Make Onion Tea For Weight Loss
You Will Need
- One raw onion
- Lime Juice
- Green tea bag
- Chop the onion.
- Add the pieces to boiling water.
- Once the water changes its color, add lime juice and green tea bag to the water.
- Filter the tea.
- Add honey for taste.
- Tea is ready to serve.
Some Other Health Benefits Of Onion
Yes, onions are effective in weight loss. But they do have other health benefits as well. We have listed some of the health benefits below:
- Raw onions decrease the production of bad cholesterol.
- The presence of quercetin in onions helps in fighting cancer.
- Onions also control blood sugar.
- Onion juice is often used to cure a cough and cold.
- Onion juice is really good for the health of the hair.
- Chewing raw onions improves oral health.
- Onions are good for bone health.
- Onions improve the immune system.
- Onions reduce oxidative stress.
- Onions also help treat acne.
You see, onions are really effective in weight loss. They also make our food healthier and tastier. Onions also provide us with a lot of other health benefits as well.
Should we consume onions for weight loss? Yes, of course. Onions are really safe and they do not have any side effects. However, you should consult your doctor if you are allergic to onions. And make sure you do not eat onions in excess.
So what do you think about onions for weight loss? Are you going to use them?
Let us know in the comment section below. If you have any suggestions or questions, do let us know. Feel free to share the article.