Top 5 Exercises to Strengthen Lower Back & Get Rid of Lower Back Pain
All your muscles have to be in proper synchronization for your body to function properly. Your spine is the most important because you will not be able to sit, stand, or even walk properly if the muscles around your core, pelvis, spine and lower back are weak. Weak muscles often lead to the back pain and even the injuries that could possibly trouble you for the lifetime. It can interfere with your daily physical activities such as walking, running, bending, and even sitting. This pain or injury can trouble you for the lifetime if not taken care of at the early ages.
Fortunately, there is a way you can cope-up with the pain & its causes and get rid of it by strengthening your muscles with the help of various exercises.
Causes of Back Pain
There are multiple causes of lower back pain including muscle spasm, nerve injury, muscle strain, degenerative changes, compression fractures, spinal stenosis, cancer, infections, and even the neurological disorders.
If you want to check your cause of back pain, you need to get yourself examined by a specialist doctor.
How strengthening your muscles help alleviate back pain?
Back pain is the major health issue that is being faced by almost 60% of the generation and it has started taking places in early ages. This health issue tend to get worse with time if not treated well at the early ages. Though there are medications and treatments that are quite effective in getting rid of back pain, but there are the exercises that are quite effective in getting rid of back pain naturally and for a long term. This is achieved by strengthening your lower back muscles.
According to the studies, muscle strengthening exercises are a great way to reduce back pain and improve its functioning. These exercises increase your flexibility and make them stronger to taker higher levels of muscle stress and strains. Stronger your muscles become, more will be the flexibility, and less will be the chances of you inducing back pain.
What are some of the best exercises to strengthen your lower back?
Exercises are basically the movements carried out in a defined way that focus on one or more muscles to provide relief from certain pains in that area. There are many exercises that are beneficial for strengthening your lower back muscles and provide relief from lower back pain. I am discussing few of such exercises in this section:
Gluteus maximus is one of the strongest muscles in your body. It is the major muscle that is involved in the hip movements and hip extension movements. Therefore, it is strongly connected to your lower body. According to the studies, if your Gluteus Maximus muscles are weak, you might suffer severe lower back pain. If you want to stabilize your hips, lower back, and joints during walking, running, or sitting, you might work on these muscles and bridges is the best exercise to do that.
Furthermore, you need no equipment to perform this exercise.
Here is how you do bridges to strengthen your lower back:
Follow these steps as mentioned to perform bridges:
- Put a yoga or exercise mat on the floor and lie on the ground while making sure that your feet lies flat on the floor and are hip length apart.
- Taking the support of both of your hands on the side, press your feet into the floor and lift your button slowly upwards until the back of your body is parallel to the floor. Your shoulders will remain on the floor.
- Move downwards slowly acquiring the initial position.
- Keep yourself rested for 45 seconds to 1 minute
- Do this movement 15 times and do 3 reps of this exercise.
2. Leg Raises (Lying Lateral)
This exercise is meant for the hip abductor muscles and supports your pelvis when you are standing on one leg. The weakness in these muscles can lead to problems in balancing your body and mobility which results in lower back pain caused due to instability.
How to do leg raises to strengthen your lower back muscles?
- Lie on a yoga mat on one side making sure that the lower leg is slightly bent.
- Stimulate your core muscles by taking your belly button to your spine.
- Now raise the leg at the top without moving rest of your body.
- Hold this position of 2 seconds.
- Repeat this movement 10 times and do 3 reps of it daily.
3. Partial Curls
The next exercise that is extremely effective on strengthening your lower back muscles is Partial Curls. This exercise involves the stimulation of rectus abdominus and transverse abdominus muscles. Since abdominal muscles provide a significant support to your spine, strengthening these muscles will provide great relief from lower back. These muscles help you maintain a problem hip alignment and leads to stability and overall core strength.
How to do partial curls to strengthen your lower back?
- Put a yoga or exercise mat on the floor and lie on the ground while making sure that your feet lies flat on the floor and your knees are bent.
- Put both of your hands over your chest.
- Take a deep breath initially, and pull in your belly button towards your spine breathing out simultaneously.
- Now lift up your shoulder few inches and keep your neck in line with the spine. Avoid pulling up your neck in the process.
- Get back to your initial position and perform 10 reps.
- Do 3 sets of this exercise daily for the best results.
4. Partial Crunches
Partial Crunches work very efficiently on your back and abdominal muscles which are very important to maintain strength of your spine. If you are regular on partial crunches, you’ll barely face the problem of back pain. It is considered to be an ideal exercise for spondylosis.
How to perform partial crunches for alleviating lower back pain and strengthening muscles?
- Lie on the floor with straight back and keeping your feet flat on the floor.
- Put both of your hands in your chest. You can also put both of your hands behind your head.
- Raise your shoulders a few inches from the floor while keeping your stomach muscles tight.
- Do not take support of your elbows and use your arms while pulling your neck off of the ground.
- Hold this position for two seconds and get back to initial position.
- Repeat 10 times and do 3 sets a day.
5. Hamstring Stretches
Hamstring stretches are known to work on the area of the leg where most of your lower back muscles are found. You need a fitness band or the towel to perform these stretches properly.
How to perform hamstring stretches to strengthen lower back pain and relieve pain?
- Lie straight on your back while keeping one of the leg-bent.
- Now put a towel across the foot (beneath the ball) of another leg that is unbent.
- Now pull back the towel towards yourself straightening your knee and feel the stretch on the back of your leg.
- Hold the leg straight for 15-20 seconds.
- Perform this stretch 5 times for each leg.
- Do 3 sets of this exercise daily.
These were 5 best exercises to help you strengthen your lower back. If you practice these daily, you will rarely face the problems of back pain.